Current:Home > MySouth Koreans hold subdued Halloween celebrations a year after party crush killed about 160 people -Zenith Investment School
South Koreans hold subdued Halloween celebrations a year after party crush killed about 160 people
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:17:29
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Halloween celebrations in South Korea were subdued on the eve of the first anniversary of the harrowing party crush that killed about 160 people.
Many restaurants, bars, department stores and amusement parks are avoiding Halloween-themed events as a sign of respect for the victims. Few people clad in Halloween costumes were seen Saturday in Seoul’s popular Itaewon neighborhood, the site of last year’s deadly surge when a large number of revelers and others packed an alley, causing people to fall on each other like dominos.
The walls of the narrow, sloped alley in Itaewon were plastered with numerous post-it notes with condolence messages that read “We won’t forget you” or “We’ll remember you.” A mourning station established in central Seoul received many visitors, who laid white flowers and burned incense in front of photos of the victims.
In Seoul’s Hongdae area, another entertainment zone, there were only a small number of people wearing Halloween outfits.
Authorities have deployed thousands of police, emergency and other officials since Friday for crowd control and safety of pedestrians in Itaewon and 15 other major nightlife districts in Seoul. About 200 police officers were separately mobilized to monitor narcotics use and violent crime, according to Seoul police.
“I offer a deep apology again by bearing the sorrow and heavy responsibility for the disaster in my heart,” Seoul Mayor Oh Se-hoon said in a statement Friday. “The way to overcome the pains and sorrow of the disaster is preventing this kind of incident from happening again.”
Bereaved families are to hold a formal memorial service on Sunday.
In January, a police special investigation team concluded that police and municipal officials failed to work out effective crowd control steps despite correctly anticipating a huge number of people in Itaewon. Investigators also concluded that police had ignored hotline calls by pedestrians who warned of swelling crowds before the surge turned deadly.
The Itaewon crush caused a nationwide outpouring of grief as the dead were mostly in their 20s and 30s. There was also anger that the government again ignored safety and regulatory issues despite the lessons learned since the 2014 sinking of the ferry Sewol, which killed 304 people — mostly teenagers on a school trip.
Officials have tried to overhaul the country’s safety systems and response protocols since the Itaewon tragedy. But safety-related incidents have continuously occurred.
“First of all, the problem is that there have been only stopgap measures whenever some incidents happened,” said Park Sangin, a professor at Seoul National University. “Also, the bigger problem is that there has been no clear accountability for them.”
When police in January announced the results of the probe into the Itaewon crush, they said they were pursuing criminal charges, including involuntary manslaughter and negligence, against 23 officials. But no top-level official was included. Most of the 23 officials are still on trial.
In February, South Korea’s opposition-controlled parliament voted to impeach the safety minister, Lee Sang-min, over the Itaewon disaster. But the Constitutional Court in July overturned Lee’s impeachment.
Families of the victims and their supporters have demanded President Yoon Suk Yeol offer a more sincere apology and accept a through, independent investigation.
“The attitude by the government and the ruling party is inflicting deeper and more painful scars on (us),” the families said in a joint statement. “We just want to know the fundamental reasons why on Oct. 29, 2022, thousands of people fell, 159 of them died and thousands of others were injured or ended up living with trauma.”,
The families said they invited Yoon to attend Sunday’s memorial. Local media reported Yoon decided not to go due to concerns the event could be used by opposition politicians.
__
Associated Press video journalist Yong Jun Chang contributed to this report.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Massachusetts House approves sweeping housing bill
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, It Couples
- Bridgerton's Nicola Coughlan Uses This $5 Beauty Treatment for De-Puffing
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- In aftermath of hit on Caitlin Clark, ill-informed WNBA fans creating real danger to players
- Stereophonic cast brings 1970s band to life while making history
- Proof Lindsay Hubbard and Carl Radke's Relationship Was More Toxic Than Summer House Fans Thought
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Who is Chennedy Carter? What to know about Chicago Sky guard, from stats to salary
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Virginia authorities search for woman wanted in deaths of her 3 roommates
- Top baby names 2024: Solar eclipse, women athletes inspire parents, Baby Center data shows
- Sabrina Carpenter, Barry Keoghan are chaotic lovers in 'Please Please Please' music video
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Pat Sajak’s final episode as ‘Wheel of Fortune’ host is almost here
- Tension soars as Israelis march through east Jerusalem, Gaza bombing intensifies and rockets land from Lebanon
- Kickoff Pride Month with Kate Spade Outlet's Super Cute Pride Collection, with Deals Starting at $29
Recommendation
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
A Texas county removed 17 books from its libraries. An appeals court says eight must be returned.
Mississippi police officer loses job after telling man to ‘go back to Mexico’
Bridgerton's Nicola Coughlan Uses This $5 Beauty Treatment for De-Puffing
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Judge dismisses attempted murder and other charges in state case against Paul Pelosi’s attacker
Scott Disick and Kourtney Kardashian’s Teen Son Mason Is All Grown Up While Graduating Middle School
Washington family sues butcher shop for going to wrong house, killing pet pigs: 'Not a meal'